We all celebrate Christmas every year, following the same traditions. But do you know how those traditions came about? They are very interesting and I'll share them with you. Here are facts about 5 fascinating Christmas traditions:
1. Santa Claus - The story of Santa Claus began in the 4th century about a real man. He was Saint Nicolas. He was a bishop living in Turkey. He was a very rich kind man who actually gave secret gifts to the poor. His popularity grew throughout Europe, and stories were told that he could perform miracles. Because of his kindness he became a saint. He became the patron saint of Russia where he is drawn as having a red cape, and white beard.
|FACTS BEHIND 5 FASCINATING CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS -SAINT NICOLAS|
2. Christmas trees - Fir trees were decorated in 16th century Germany. The first person to bring the tree inside was a 16th century German preacher Martin Luther. He said the beauty of the stars coming through trees he saw in the forest made him recreate it by placing candles on a tree he brought inside. The first tree were decorated with apples and gingerbread. The first Christmas trees were brought to England by Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert who was from Germany.
|FACTS BEHIND 5 FASCINATING CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS - CHRISTMAS TREES|
3. Christmas Stockings - The story of Christmas stockings started as a story in ancient times. aA noblemen had 3 daughters. His wife dies, and when the daughters were old enough to marry, the man had nothing to give as dowries. So one night the 3 girls washed their stocking and hung them to dry on the fireplace. Saint Nicolas heard about their plight, and filled each stocking with a bag of gold. The daughters were able to marry, and kids have been hanging stockings ever since.
|FACTS BEHIND 5 FASCINATING CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS - CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS|
4. Mistletoe - The tradition of hanging mistletoe goes back to goes back to the times of the ancient druids. They believed it had healing powers for poison, infertility, and to ward off evil spirits. The custom of kissing under it came from England. A berry was picked from the Mistletoe for each kiss. When the berries were gone, then the kissing was done.
|FACTS BEHIND 5 FASCINATING CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS|
5. Candy Canes - The story of candy canes goes back to the 17th century. Craftsmen created the candy in the shape of a shepherd's crook. It was done at the request of a choirmaster who wanted to remind children of the story about the Nativity and to keep them quiet during ceremonies. They became very popular when a Georgian named Bob McCormack invented a machine that made them.
|FACTS BEHIND 5 FASCINATING CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS - CANDY CANES|