Who wants to go camping?! Now that the weather and humidity are cooler, there is no better time than the present to go camping before the heat of summer sneaks up on us. Who doesn't love being one with nature and enjoying the outdoors? But camping can get downright expensive. I found some awesome cheap or free campsites in Florida that won't break your budget. Enjoy:
1. Flying A Myakka SF - A $10.00 pass or permit is all that's required to camp here. There are 16-29 campsites available. There is wildlife viewing, picnic tables, restrooms, a fire ring, and a grill. These are primitive campsites and water is not provided. You can get a permit at the ranger station or at campsite #6. It is located at 2000 S. River Rd. , North Port. Fla 34223. (941)460-1333.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY - FLYING A MYAKKA SF|
2. Wood Lake Hunt Camp - This is a free, first come first served campground. You can stay up to 14 days here, except during gun season when it's used as a hunting camp. It is primitive camping with restrooms, picnic tables, and a boat ramp. It sits on the Ochlockonee River. It's located in Sopchoppy, Fla., (850) 643-2282.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY - WOOD LAKE HUNT CAMP|
3. Babcock Webb WMA - The camping is free here but there is $3 cost for a day use permit. Camping is only permitted on the weekends and in the designated camping areas. They have a boat ramp, a fire ring, and picnic tables. This one is near water. The address is 29201 Green Gulf Blvd., Punta Gorda, Fla. 850-4884676.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY - BABCOCK WEBB WMA|
4. Fore Lake Campground - This is a pay campground at $12 a night. It has 30 campsites and each has a picnic table, grill, and lantern pole. It has a shower house and restrooms. It boasts a beautiful beach for swimming and has a fishing pier. There is a camp host on site and gates are open till 8 pm. If you get here after late, you can call (352)652-6312 for a gate code. It is located on SR 314, Silver Springs, Fla. (352)236-0288.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY - FORE LAKE CAMPGROUND|
5. Matanzas State Forest Primitive Camp - This is a pay campground at $10 a night. It is open year round, but only has 5 campsites available. It has a grill, picnic tables, a fire ring, bathrooms and is near the water. You need to contact the Florida Forest Service at 386-585-6150 before 7 pm for the combination for the gate lock and a permit. The address is Double Gate Rd. at US 1 South, St. Augustine, Fla. (386)446-6786.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY - MATANZAS STATE FOREST|
6. JB Starkey Wilderness Park - There are 16 tent camping sites. They have restrooms with showers and a small shelter, a fire ring, grills and drinking water. Primitive camping is $5.00, regular tent camping is $10 nightly. Reservations are required. There are about 15 tent campsites. It is located at 10500 Wilderness Park Blvd. , New Port Richey, Fla. (727)834-3247.
13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY - JB STARKEY PARK
Now these next few campgrounds cost a bit more. But they are considered well worth the money. Take a look:
7. Fort Wilderness Campground - 4510 Fort Wilderness Trail, Orlando. I am dying to go to this one! It has dinner shows, character sing-a-longs, movies, hayrides, carriage rides, horseback riding, and fireworks on 750 acres of pine and cypress forests. It has exactly what you'd expect from a Disney campground, including the high price. For a family of four for a weeks stay at a preferred campsite it's $534.00, less if you have your own RV.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY- Fort Wilderness|
8. Florida Caverns State Park -3345 Caverns Road, Marianna. This park is home to the only open air caves in Florida. It costs $5 per vehicle, and only $20 for overnight camping. It also has hiking, biking, boating and fishing. Cave tours are extra. It also features a nine hole golf course.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY- Florida Caverns State Park|
9. Silver River State Park - 1425 NE 58th Avenue, Ocala. This park is the home of the glass bottomed boat tours. If you camp on the weekends, you can also enjoy their pioneer cracker village, and their Silver River Museum. It's crystal clear water is great for canoeing. It has a full facility campground and 10 luxury cabins. Camping is $24.00 a night.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY-Silver River State Park|
10. Bahia Honda State Park - 36850 Overseas Hwy., Big Pine Key. This state park is known for its beaches, sunsets and snorkeling. you can also swim, fish, kayak, and boat. It also has a nature center and a full facility campground and cabins. Campsites are $36.00, cabins are $120-160.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY- Bahia Honda State Park|
11. Fort Clinch State Park - 2601 Atlantic Avenue, Fernandina Beach. This park sits on 1400 acres on Amelia Island. It has a fishing pier, swimming. Shelling and shark tooth hunting are popular. You can also visit the historic Fort Clinch where they have re-enactments from the Civil War. The fort is open everyday, and costs $2.00. The park has 69 campsites at $26.00 a night.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY- Fort Clinch State Park|
12. Fort DeSoto State Park - 3500 pinellas Bayway, S. Tierra Verde. This park has a 238 site full service campground . The campground has grills, electricity, washer and dryers, restrooms, showers,play area and a camp store. The park has a 7 mile waterfront that has fishing piers, hiking trails, canoe trails and swimming. Camping starts at $30.00.
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY-Fort DeSoto State Park|
13. Myakka River State Park - 13208 State rd. 72, Sarasota. This park has a natural wetlands area, a canopy walkway, and a tram safari. It sits on 58 acres and features swimming, fishing, canoeing and boating. The park has 82 campsites for tents that start at $26.00. Cabins start at $70.00
|13 AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLORIDA CAMPGROUNDS YOU NEED TO TRY- Myakka River State Park|